Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mamma Mia! The musical.

I was excited, really excited for this since I bought the tickets. Maybe all the excitement drove up my expectation way high. I loved the movie so so much. It had been a long time since a movie excited me so.

The first solo of the musical started low. The movie one was better. But as the show went on, Sophie redeemed herself. It's not fair that the 'mom' would be compared to Meryl Streep since Meryl Streep's performance is a tough act to top. Although I have not been a Meryl Streep fan, I loved her in Mamma Mia, the movie.

The set impressed me at first, but then it started to bore me after the first hour.

Other than Sophie and the Mom, the voices of others didn't really impress me. Tanya at the beach was really sad!

After watching the musical and the movie, I thought the movie was cleverly adapted and done. Bravo to the screenwriter(s)!

ALthough all that, the ending encore performances of the stage show were super!! I enjoyed that the most (haha) and the song "our last summer". I still love that song, although the setting in the movie is nicer.

p/s (23/12/08): apparently another reviewer agreed with me on some points regarding the stage show. He also raised the points on the stage setting and Tanya's singing...
http://www.rochester-citynews.com/entertainment/stage/2008/12/THEATER-REVIEW-RBTLs-Mamma-Mia

No comments: