Friday, December 19, 2008

The day YP came to town...

I haven't seen friend YP for a while. Say a few years, except for facebook. It looked like he had a ball of a life travelling all over. And he has a new job too! For the past 2 months. And a new car too, for the past 2 years. All this I found out on Friday night.

Friday evening, after dinner with LP and CW, I went home looking forward to pack for my whirlwind trip on Saturday and Sunday. As I was locking up my doors, my phone rang. It was a surprise to see CA calling (caller ID). He hasn't called me for like, ages. And yes, the news was that YP was coming to town! [A bit like Santa coz he did bring a big melon for me from Cameron. Although I still expect a house warming gift that he still owes me...] And that, he would like to meet us for supper. My answer was OK, since if I didn't see him that night, I wouldn't be seeing him for another few years at the very least (based on our track record).

After a couple of hours, YP finally reached the island and then, he said that he would like to visit my house and check out my xmas tree... So no supper for me!

YP came and he looked the same as he did many years ago. Still as loopy as ever. (Although he is a m.a.n.a.g.e.r now). He commented that although my house looks nice, it doesn't seem like 'me'. Hmmm... and it looks like a bar. [BC's response:??] And that my furniture does not match my walls. [BC's response: haha] Funny guy!

It used to bother me quite a bit that people think they know my taste or 'me' better than 'moi', or that they have some unpleasant comments about my place. My immediate mental reaction would be that those commentss or statements are reflections of myself. After settling in for more than two months now, I'm able to look at it more impersonally, take it less personally, and now, those comments bothered me less.

I don't know why people would make statements that make other people uncomfortable for no particularly beneficial purpose. And since it is not beneficial, I am able to just let it slide...

This is when the lessons from the Abhayarajakumara Sutta come in handy... and for the record, I enjoyed YP's visit tremendously. It's fun to catch up and crack up over silly stuff from yesteryears...

No comments: