Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jane Austen's Book Club

I was feeling extremely bored and felt like watching tv but unfortunately, there was nothing good on tv. I was kinda regretting my decision to delay cable tv. Then I recalled I have this DVD that I was not particularly keen to watch because a few years back I had read the book and had to really force myself to finish it because I had this policy of not leaving a book left unfinished.

Anyway, ofcourse the way it went was, I put the DVD on and was totally pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the movie. Totally! The casts were stellar. The script was good. The presentation was even better. The result: Totally! I couldn't say I remember all the Jane Austen's books (which I read like a decade ago), but truly, what ppl want then (even when Jane Austen wrote those books) and what ppl want now, stays pretty much the same.

There's the couple who has been together for 20 odd years on the verge of divorce due to the man cheating. His story was that 20 odd years is a long time of marriage and the relationship between the two of them is stale and unexciting. He's been seeing a woman at work for the past 6 months and he's not giving her up, that's non-negotiable.

Then, there's the gay daughter who was into extreme sports. And fell in love easily. Too easily according to the mom. She was in a relationship with a gal who always wanted her to tell her life's secrets and stories. One day, she discovered that the gal has been using her stories as material for her writings (the gal was trying to get published).

The next character is the good friend, who was single and was the one that introduced the couple way back in high school.

Then there's the cute guy (didn't harm that he's rich and smart too), who just bumped into the good friend and was so captivated he joined the book club reading Jane Austen's books so that he would have occassion to meet her.

Next, is the french teacher who had never been to France. Who happened to be married but found herself attracted to one of her students.

We also have the quirky, eccentric friend who had gone through a few marriages and looking for another one.

That was a good approx. 1.5 hrs.

No comments: