Saturday, October 4, 2008

Older or wiser?

I was watching another episode of SATC tonight. This time a season III. This episode asked the question, are we growing older or wiser?

The real question is, am I growing older or wiser? I would like to think that I'm doing both, since I definitely am doing the former. Atleast with the latter, it would seem like I'm doing something right. But what if things that I learnt are not real? How do we ever know if the things we learnt in life are real or not?

Even if it's written in an age-old book by some writer known to people as sagely, human or otherwise, how do we ever know for sure that they are right? Afterall, in a lot of situations, being right is subjective. It's personal. It's conditional.

I have gone through stages of life where I believed in different things. Experienced different things. I inevitably came to one conclusion, I didn't ever want to go back to my twenties. I was a late bloomer, twenties for me was still a period of awkwardness. I was uncertain about some stuff and didn't know my place in the world. I had fun, that I couldn't deny. Then, I did my grad work, found myself and came out from my shell.


But deep inside, I doubt if I changed. I just hoped I'm wiser.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bengchin.. i din know u hv a blog :D
ya, cool as part of recording and a place to present our thoughts. cheers!

BengChin said...

O ya, I've had many blogs over the years. This is the most recent one.