Monday, September 21, 2009

Snake Temple, Bayan Lepas, Penang



I suddenly found myself at a lost when was required to think of a place to bring some visiting uncles to. My dad out-of-the-blue thought of the Snake Temple. One of my uncles who used to stay in Penang some 50-odd years ago could still remember the last time he visitted there (almost 60 years ago), so, it turned out to be quite a nostalgic trip for him.

I haven't been there for many years myself. I was surprised at the number of snakes that were there - there were more than I expected! And the crowd was bigger than I expected.


There were some signs of commercialization - as expected - pictures with snakes for a sum of money and a whole area with exotic looking snake which require a small token entrance-fee.

The Kuan Yin Shrine behind the main temple was a nice place to just walk around. There were a few trees in a protected area which has a small crowd of people hanging around. My dad later told me that they were snake-watching. There were actually snakes in the trees!

Hmm... sometimes it is interesting to re-visit places that have been kinda forgotten...

No comments: